Skip to main content

Permits and obligations

Permits are needed by both people and businesses. But for which activities do we need permits, and when are easier proceedings enough? How are applications or declarations submitted, to which authority should they be submitted, and how are they processed? And which activities should be reported to the authorities?

Shipments, collection and transport of waste, export of used products

Register for waste carriers and brokers in Finland
A waster carrier from outside of Finland is entitled to register as a waste carrier in Finland.
Read more
Transfrontier shipments of waste
Waste shipments from one country to another either require permits from the authorities of all countries involved in the shipment, or a lighter, so-called green waste shipment procedure is followed. Waste shipments may also be entirely prohibited.
Read more
Export and import of used products
The exporter of the used products must be prepared to demonstrate that the exported product is not waste. The required documents must be ready before export.
Read more
Producer Responsibility
Manufacturers, importers, distance sellers and importers of all kinds of packaged products as well as packers of products are responsible for the waste management of their products.
Read more

Chemicals and harmful substances

F-gases and ozone-depleting substances
Information and instructions on installation, maintenance, sales, import and waste management of F-gases, ozone-depleting substances and equipment containing them.
Read more
Export notification for banned or severely restricted chemicals
Exporting banned or severely restricted chemicals outside the EU is subject to an export notification. Some chemicals require approval from the recipient country to import.
Read more
Reporting of dangerous and harmful substances transported by sea
Recipients of dangerous or harmful substances transported by sea in bulk shall report on the cargo if the quantity received exceeds the threshold.
Read more

Conservation of species and nature

Trade in endangered species – CITES
The CITES Convention protects wild animal and plant species that are threatened by international trade. Trade is regulated with import and export permits and certificates, depending on the species, how endangered it is, as well as the character and area of the activity.
Read more
Import notification for genetic resources
When foreign genetic resources or associated traditional knowledge are used for research and/or development activities, Prior Informed Consent must be acquired for their use.
Read more

Water permit

Water permit and notifications
Projects that change a water body or groundwater conditions may require a permit or notification.
Read more

Environmental impacts of projects must be identified and prevented

Projects subject to an environmental impact assessment (EIA) can be motorways, mines, waste treatment plants or wind farms. The legal procedure provides information on what the actualisation of a project would mean in practice and what its impact on the environment would be.