SYKE's officer on duty
SYKE has a 24/7 duty officer for environmental incidents. When an incident has happened, the SYKE's officer on duty:
- represents the Finnish Environment Institute and acts on SYKE authority until otherwise prescribed;
- calls for executive assistance from other authorities;
- dispatches recovery vessels and equipment;
- initiates and co-ordinates and is in charge of recovery efforts and appoints the leader for the response operation;
- acquires other necessary materials or staff;
- is responsible for informing about the incident according to international agreements (e.g. HELCOM) and informing in general;
- requests international assistance;
- initiates required investigations.
When an oil spill is observed at open sea, the report may be given to the nearest Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC/MRSC) via coastal radio, pilot or Coast Guard stations; they will further inform SYKE's officer on duty.